Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Datanetics - Part 2


My Dad’s resume from 1970. So interesting to read his business history

Some photos from his time at Datanetics 

As told by a good friend and colleague of my Dad - John Wyman. 

Used with permission by his daughters Sue and Leila Wyman.


As Vietnam War winds down, I encourage Babcock to enter growing 

Keyboard (computers, calculators & point-of sale terminals) industry. 

They disregard as they can’t grasp concept. So, I exercise $37K in 

stock options & create Wyman Associates (consulting firm) to call 

on multiple clients, hoping to influence one to hire me as General Mgr. 


Ultimately one in San Diego asks me to take over Datanetics ’subsidiary

in keyboard business. It is failing due attempt to also build inferior 

computer. I hire Marsh to join me, we move it to Fountain Valley

 (area close to Newport Beach), cancel doomed computer product

 & go to work selling just keyboards. We are very successful, 

pay off all debt & wind up with two million $ in Bank of America. 


Parent company has 2 other subsidiaries which I am eventually given 

control of as CEO, sell & invest to further capitalize Datanetics’. 

Japan is major end equipment customer source who desire our 

low profile keyboards. I hire Japanese speaking college student 

to have lunch with me 2 times per week & become tolerably 

proficient in language. Travel often to Japan to negotiate licensing 

agreement with Japanese sources, which brings additional $ into Company. 


 Hoping to turn Datanetics’ into a desk type computer company 

similar to Dell,  I hire consultant to examine options & he recommends

 Floppy Disks’, but Board of Directors wants to simply cash company 

dividends! Ironically, Beckman/Component’s Group VP (Les Chapin), 

impressed with my management prowess in components & desiring mgr. 

to offer possible new divisions to, asks me to rejoin them (I’ve been 

gone for 14 years!). I resign Datanetics’ (late 74 or early 75) & accept 

CEO Job with Display Division of Unisys Sperry Flight Systems, 

purchased by Beckman.


Datanetics made the first keyboard for Apple Computer! 




More history here https://deskthority.net/wiki/Datanetics 

Click on link below



more history

No comments:

Post a Comment

Datanetics and Apple I

It was pretty cool to open the Los Angeles Times to see this article  This historic custom built Apple I comes with a Datanetics keyboard De...